Saturday, February 4, 2017

Beef & spinach meatballs in tomato sauce




At a picnic recently we were discussing various ingredients we add to rissoles or meatballs to add to the flavour or moisten the mixture. With that discussion in mind, I thought I would add some spinach to minced beef and see how the resultant mix turned out. As I love meatballs in any shape or form and I also love spinach, it is not surprising that I enjoyed the end result. You can eat them alone, or serve with rice or pasta, or gnocchi as I did. Enjoy!





Ingredients

500 gr minced beef
1/2 cup thawed frozen spinach
2 spring onions
2 clove garlic
2 heaped tsp crushed ginger
Dried basil
Olive oil
1 cup pasta tomato sauce

 



Mode

Crush the garlic and ginger
Chop the spring onions roughly
Place the beef, spinach, garlic, ginger, basil and sping onions in a bowl
Using hands combine well
Using a spoon and your hands form into meatballs of desired size
Place the tomato sauce in a pan and bring to a boil
Turn down heat and simmer
Add olive oil to a pan and quickly seal the meatballs in batches, adding them to the sauce when sealed
Simmer for about 30 minutes until meatballs are cooked
Serve with rice or pasta with grated Parmesan.

1 comment:

Pat Miller said...

I like adding fresh basil to hamburgers. That may be nice in meatballs, too. :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin