Saturday, February 4, 2017

Spanakorizo/Σπανακορίζο



It had been many years since I last cooked spanakorizo.  I don't know exactly why this had happened as I love it.  But maybe it was just one of those dishes you love and cook all the time and then stop. The trigger for me came one weekend when my teacher Roza in Athens was talking to me about cooking spanakorizo with some fresh spinach she had purchased at the laiki.  

Hmm, I haven't cooked that for a while, I thought enviously. I am sure Roza's dish with its fresh ingredients was tastier than mine which was made with the frozen spinach, canned tomatoes and some fresh basil that I had on hand.  However, I enjoyed mine and will be making it again!

Ingredients

2 tbs butter
5 spring onions
1/2 cup white rice
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup water
350 gr frozen spinach
1 clove garlic
2 tsp crushed ginger root
Handful basil leaves
Parmesan


Mode

Chop the spring onions finely
Heat the butter in a pan
Add the spring onions and cook until soft
Add the rice to the pan and stir for a few minutes
Add the tomatoes and stir to combine
Put the water in the tomato can, rinse and then add tomato water
Stir to combine
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until almost tender
Meanwhile, crush the garlic and ginger root
Place the frozen spinach in a bowl with the garlic, ginger and basil
Microwave for 5 minutes until the spinach is ready (or steam if you prefer)
Stir together to combine
Uncover the rice and stir through the spinach mixture
Continue to cook until the water is absorbed  and the mixture is tender.
Serve hot with grated Parmesan.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin